Q&A with WHS Manager Alana Morris
Q: What do I need to consider to keep my construction/ work site safe and secure over the holiday period?
A: There are any number of ways to provide security and safety to your site over the holiday season. Members should consider the following;
- Can the site be accessed?
- Are all site fences fitted with the correct bracings, brackets and in good condition and is all shade cloth (if applicable) secured and vented?
- Are there hazards the site would present to the public (such as open voids, trip hazards, loose materials, risk of falls etc)?
- Are there any places a child could inadvertently get in to?
- Are contact details for the responsible person posted on site signage in case of emergency?
- Are there items in view that would attract vandalism or theft (such as copper, tools, equipment etc)?
- Are stockpiles covered?
- Is all machinery isolated and keys secured?
- Are all tools and equipment locked away?
- Are there locks on site containers and sheds?
- Is there a requirement for security cameras or patrols?
- Can onsite stored items be taken off site to be stored securely?
- Is the site clean and free from loose materials that may blow away?
- Is there signage posted around the site identifying there is no un-authorised entry?
PCBU’s have a legal responsibility to ensure they have done everything reasonably practicable to eliminate or minimise the risks to the public from their site and site activities.
I would like to wish all our members and their families a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. Please take care on the roads if you are travelling over the holidays and stay safe.
If you have any WHS related enquiries, please don’t hesitate to contact our WHS Manager, Alana Morris on 02 6175 5900