Q&A with Kristie Burt

Posted 7 June 2019

Q&A with Kristie Burt

Q: Single-touch payroll (STP) – what does this mean for me as a small business?

A: Single Touch Payroll (STP) reporting allows an employer to report wages/salaries, PAYG tax and superannuation obligations to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) each time they pay their employees.  This can be done through your payroll / accounting software or through a third party, such as a sending service provider.

From 1 July 2019, small businesses with less than 20 employees will need to have implemented STP to their processes or have applied for a deferral.

If you haven’t already started planning and/or implementing the STP for your business, you should have a chat with your account or tax advisor as soon as possible so as to ensure that you are aware of what this means for you and that you choose the reporting option for your business.

Further information about the STP can be found here or refer to the Single Touch Payroll Employer Reporting Guidelines.


Q: What are the changes to the Right of Entry laws from 1 July 2019? 

A: The changes to the Fair Work legislation are noted as a positive step toward achieving a stronger and fairer approach to right of entry powers which can sometimes be misused.  

The changes from 1 July 2019 are:

  • Changes to the Entry Permit

An entry permit must include the following:

  • The permit holder’s full name;
  • The name of the organisation that applied for the entry permit;
  • The expiry date of the entry permit;
  • A recent photograph of the entry permit holder that shows their full face and meets the requirements that are considered appropriate by the Fair Work Commission; and
  • The permit holder’s signature.
  • Changes to the Entry Notice

The Entry notice must also include an information box which details the following:

  • The rules the permit holder, the occupier of the premises and affected employer must follow when right of entry is being exercised;
  • Consequences of the failure to comply with entry-related obligations; and
  • Contact details for the appropriate Regulator.


Remember, if an entry permit holder does not exercise their powers appropriately, you might not need to allow them access.  If in doubt, either call MBA or the appropriate Regulator (e.g. Fair Work Commission, WorkSafe ACT, ABCC) to confirm your obligations.


Q: I need some help with our Safe Work Method Statements… who can I talk to?

A: Depending on the assistance required, the MBA team are on hand to assist you with your queries regarding your Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) although please note that we are not able to draft these documents for you.

It is important that you are aware of the purpose of a SWMS as an administrative tool used to set out the requirements to minimise or eliminate the risks associated with high risk construction work by describing the work activities in a logical sequence (i.e. how it happens), identifies the hazards and risks associated with this work and describes the appropriate control measure to be used to allow for the works to be carried out in a safe and healthy manner.

Work Safe ACT have a Safe Work Method Statement Basics session on 29 July 2019 (at 7.30am).  If you’re interested in attending this session, or to book in for an alternative date, you can register here.


REMINDER: Increase to rates of pay from 1 July 2019

From 1 July 2019, the minimum wages under all modern Awards will increase by 3%.  MBA is currently in the process of updating the Wage Summaries for the Awards relevant to our industry and will be distributing these to members as requested in the near future.  If you would like a copy of an updated Wage Summary, please email me with the Wage Summary that you require and I will forward a copy to you as soon as it has been finalised.

If you have individual flexibility Agreements or an Enterprise Agreement, it is always good practice to ensure that the current rates of pay are compared to the minimum payable under the relevant Award to ensure that you remain compliant with your minimum payment obligations. If you require assistance with this, please let me know.


If you have any queries or would like to ask a question, please contact me on 6175 5919 or email kburt@mba.org.au

← Back to listing