CEO Update 15 February 2019
The MBA ACT office has been working on a range of issues on behalf of our members this week:
- Early in the week meetings with the MBA Australia office and all other State/Territory MBA's were held. Two main issues were discussed; preparation of the upcoming Federal election and sharing ideas and learning from other MBA's about how to improve service delivery and training for members.
- We hosted our first President's Lunch of 2019, with Emma Thomas, Director General of Transport Canberra and City Services, as our guest speaker. Thank you to Emma and the Civil Contractors Federation (ACT) for supporting this event.
- Our submission to the Inquiry into Commercial Rates was lodged yesterday. Commercial rates have escalated significantly since the Government's tax reform journey began in 2012. Working with other business and industry associations, the MBA has recommended Government form a task force to properly investigate the implementation of their tax reform agenda and provide more transparency of the tax reform process.
- A significant judgement of the Federal Court was handed down this week in relation to a claim against the MBA Fidelity Fund for the Elara apartments in Bruce. While the judgement supported the Fund's original claim and was made in favour of the Fund, the decision provides no remedy for the unit owners ongoing problems.
- This week we held an event to welcome our newest MBA members. Around 200 new members join the MBA each year. We will be holding regular events to welcome new members to the association, introduce key staff, and highlight the many benefits of being an MBA member. Thank you to Rod Mitton from Manteena and CBus for supporting this event.