CEO Update 14 December 2018
In the final weeks of the year there has been a rush of activity from ACT Government to get ready for the implementation of the Secure Local Jobs Code (SLJC) commencing on 15 January 2019. For any principal contractor or subcontractor working on ACT Government funded work I would strongly encourage you to read the SLJC material available on the ACT Government web site here and prepare for its implementation. We are pleased to see some concessions made by Government on our primary issue â€“ the conflict with Federal Law. If you need assistance please contact the MBA, your auditor, or the ACT Government.
This past week we have held Sector Council meetings with our Commercial builders, Professionals, and Residential builders. Some common themes between these sectors were discussed including:
- The Secure Local Jobs Code & WHS Amendments
- Delays being experienced processing development applications
- The building quality inquiry
- WorkSafe ACT review and restructure
- Changes to land tax arrangements
- The Lease Variation Charge review
- The finalised ACT Planning Strategy and upcoming review of the Territory Plan
- Payment reporting to the ABCC
If you have questions about any of these issues please give us a call.
Finally I would like to recognize two MBA members who won awards at the Chief Ministerâ€™s Inclusion Awards held last week. Renaissance Homes won the Innovation in Design to Create Inclusion of People with Disability, and the Ginninderry Team from Riverview Projects took out the Inclusion in Private Sector Employment. Congratulations to you both.